Monday, March 2, 2009

Good News First?

Well, the good luck had to wear off at some point. If any of you are still even checking this blog, let me explain why I haven’t been posting. First of all the babies are doing great. Wednesday we will find out their sexes. At our last ultrasound, the sonographer said her guess would be two girls but not to buy anything yet. So, we are anxiously awaiting our next appointment in T minus 36 hours.


I have had a spate of bad news recently. Sadly and most importantly, my father has been diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer. He has a 10-inch tumor on his kidney that has spread to his liver. Even worse is that the doctor has given him a life expectancy of one to three years even with successful injectible treatment of a drug called Torisel. I’m not sure I’m ready to go much further on this topic because it has been tremendously sad and difficult. I tend to gloss over the bad stuff to others but take it much harder than I let on.


Next month my brother will depart to Afghanistan with his Air Guard unit. Sadly, he will be on leave when the babies arrive. I am most concerned about how his absence will affect my mom while she is caring for my dad. Again, not going in to much detail but let’s just say it hasn’t and won’t be easy.


Today I learned that my hours, salary and vacation time have been cut back at work. This comes after learning about two employee layoffs and a few other budgetary cutbacks at my office. I am very thankful to have been spared the “chopping block” so to speak. This news is really a blessing in disguise because I was going to propose a reduced workweek upon my return from maternity leave. While I would have preferred to carry out a full week prior to maternity leave this time off will allow more flexibility for me to visit my parents who are a 5-hour drive away.

4 comments:

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

So sorry to hear about your father.

I hope that your brother returns home safely and quickly to meet his new nieces? nephews? one of each?

I don't know many mothers of twins who keep working full time all the way through the pregnancy, so the blessing in disguise post-maternity may also be a blessing pre-maternity.

Best wishes for Wednesday! It's a nice situation (and such a change from IF) to have any of the three possible combinations be a happy outcome.

Susie said...

I don't know you and can't remember how I found your blog...but I've been reading for a while and checking in almost daily for an update on your babies. I actually thought about commenting on your last post yesterday to see how things were, but figured a comment from someone you don't know might be weird. Nonetheless, I am glad to hear the babies are fine and very sorry to hear the other news about your family. I will keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for all the bad news. :(

No.35style said...

oh you have so much on your plate right now..i am sorry about your father's news. between that and your brother, it is just so much to take in.